Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Planted Roots and Apt Comrades






"The Fox" - Ylvis
I am really truly sorry for this. I got social, I made friends in the area, and within days one of them brought this to my attention. So kind. But I hope you can at least give me credit for putting it first so you can skip it. Or, hey, if you haven't heard it yet, you're welcome! Regardless, it had to be included, because it was a milestone of this month. Unfortunately.

"Falling" - Haim
People talk, I investigate. I'm not entirely sold, but I do enjoy it. This is something I will have to give more listens to in the future.

"Purple Yellow Red and Blue" - Portugal. The Man
I can actually remember the moment I heard this song on the radio. Maybe not the exact day, but I know I was in the car while my brother was driving and I got excited that a song I liked was on a station he listened to. Not a lot of our music tastes overlap, but when they do I cherish it.

"In the In Between" - Saves the Day
So many things... I love Saves the Day as it were. But also, a friend of mine, well, perhaps just an acquaintance at this point, was the drummer on this album. We rarely talk anymore, but once upon a time he sprawled out on the floor of my Chicago apartment in all black clothes and rolled around because all the cats were doing it. And when he got up I'm pretty sure he had more cat hair on him than any of the actual cats did. I funded this album partially because I enjoy Saves the Day, but mostly because he is one of the most down-to-earth guys I know in music and I was happy for him.

"I Loved the Way She Said 'L.A.'" - Spitalfield
This. So much this. Spitalfield chose to do a reunion tour for Remember Right Now - the first album I ever heard from them. Freshman year in college my friend played a few songs for me. That night I went home, immediately ordered the CD from their online store, and because shipping took a few days, went ahead and torrented the album while I was waiting. This song in particular was the song I fell in love with, before I ever knew I would have dreams of California. And then for them to reunite for a show in San Diego, within a month of me moving there. A little bit of home away from home. I got to talk with them, and I met other local people as well, and it was just an overall marvelous night.

"The One That Got Away" - The Civil Wars
It took the news of them breaking up for me to finally get off my bum and acquire this album. The vocals are just as haunting and heartbreaking as they were on the first album. Gonna keep my fingers crossed that maybe some day they can reconcile and create more beauty.

"Waking Up" - M83 (with Joseph Trapanese)
As soon as I saw the preview for Oblivion, I searched out this soundtrack. And I loved it. Finally, upon browsing movie options, this choice came up and it was one both my brother and I could agree on. And it was amazing. The movie was great, but accompanied by the music it was epic. If you're later to the scene than I am, watch it.

"Overture" - Danny Elfman
This soundtrack was, well, the soundtrack to my solitary pumpkin carving the day of Halloween. I initially was hoping to carve a pumpkin of Jack, but ended up opting for the cat which you see on the mix. Partially because it was better fit for the pumpkin I had, and partially because I miss my Phoenix and am continuously rebelling against living with a dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment